7digital adds Google Cast integration to its platform including support for hi-res music
London, UK, September 28 2015 – 7digital, a leading global digital music and radio platform, today announces that it has launched an integration of Google CastTM on its platform. This announcement comes alongside a major update to the 7digital Music Store Android app which adds support for Google Cast as well as a new catalogue of hi-res music and support for Android Auto, with a fresh look and much improved experience. This improved functionality, including Google CastTM will also be available to 7digital’s B2B customers who wish to add this as an additional feature on their web service or app.
With support for Google Cast, consumers are now able to ‘cast’ their favourite music from the 7digital Android app to any Google Cast-enabled speaker, or to any Chromecast-connected TV or streaming device, in high quality audio formats including hi-res FLAC.
7digital is the first provider to offer hi-res FLAC playback with Google Cast (the same technology behind Chromecast). 7digital’s apps for Android and iOS – as well as the web store – all allow users to access 7digital’s entire catalogue of almost 40 million tracks, with millions of 16-bit FLACs (44.1kHz, CD-quality) and hundreds of thousands of 24-bit FLACs (up to 192kHz, studio quality).
The Android app acts as an all-in-one music player and store, syncing new and previously purchased tracks from 7digital’s cloud locker for streaming playback in the app. This follows a recent 7digital web store refresh and upgrade to hi-res audio with a matching new look and feel including editorial content for enhanced music discovery.
7digital have also added support for Android Auto to the app, which enables consumers to stream music to their Android Auto in-car infotainment system.
7digital now have 1 million active monthly users on 7digital branded mobile apps. Partners using 7digital to power their apps expand the platform reach even further, bringing the new capabilities to major brands in the consumer electronics, hi-fi, mobile, retail and automotive markets.
The new 7digital Music Store app for Android allows users to:
- Choose from almost 40 million tracks to purchase and download or stream instantly
- Select from millions of tracks in hi-res FLAC format
- ‘Cast’ music from an Android device to Google Cast-enabled speakers, or to any Chromecast-connected TV or streaming device
- Listen to 30-second previews of all songs
- Enjoy reviews by the 7digital team
- Browse top album and track charts, new releases, recommendations and genres
- Use a fair and legal music service available worldwide, with localised features in over 20 major markets
- Stream or download 7digital music to their device
- Utilise the app’s integrated music player to listen to non-7digital music already stored on the device
- Stream music on the road to an Android Auto in-car infotainment system
- Scrobble listening history to Last.fm
“This upgrade to include Cast to our platform as well as enhancements on the Music Store app for Android marks a significant update”, commented Simon Cole, CEO of 7digital. “It leads the way in providing users with both high quality audio and a truly modern music-listening experience. Our diverse partners will also benefit from improvements made across Android, iOS and web platforms, as 7digital enables new features and functionality for the services we power around the world”.
The CastTM integration is available now across 7digital branded mobile apps and web services and the new 7digital Music Store app for Android is now available worldwide to Android smartphone and tablet users. It is free and can be downloaded directly from the Google Play Store, GetJar and the Amazon Appstore.
Google Cast and the Google Cast badge are trademarks of Google Inc.