V Festival 2016
Over the years, V has gradually edged away from its indie-rock roots to become the go-to UK festival for fans of commercial dance music and chart-friendly pop. On the latter score, this year’s line-up is arguably their strongest yet, boasting UK festival exclusives in both Rihanna and Justin Bieber, plus huge names like Sia, Bastille and Little Mix. Here’s who we recommend watching at the split-site event, which takes place in Chelmsford and Staffordshire from 20th to 21st August.
If you’d confessed your love for Justin Bieber two years ago, your pals would probably have nodded politely and made their excuses to go speak to someone else. Not now. Thanks to Skrillex/Diplo-collaboration ‘Where Are Ü Now’, and last November’s excellent LP, Purpose, everybody wants a piece of Biebz. He headlines on Saturday in Chelmsford and on Sunday in Staffordshire – tell all your friends, because they won’t want to miss him.
Returning to V Festival for the first time since 2011, Rihanna will be bringing the Anti World Tour to Staffordshire on Saturday and Chelmsford on Sunday. If her recent Wembley Stadium setlist is indicative of her plans for V, fans are in for a huge treat. Expect compelling renditions of songs from Anti, interspersed with an array of crowd-pleasing smashes, including ‘Rude Boy’, ‘Umbrella’, ‘We Found Love’ and ‘Diamonds’.
Discovered in 2008 on the Swedish equivalent of ‘Britain’s Got Talent’, 18-year-old Zara Larsson is already a huge star throughout Scandinavia. Following her huge collaboration with MNEK, her irresistibly summery single ‘Lush Life’, and her recent VMA nomination for Best New Artist, she looks well on the way to repeating the trick over here. Go see her on the MTV Stage at V, and you’ll have bragging rights when she inevitable becomes huge.
More from the line-up
- It was a big period of transformation for me: of coming out of a difficult time into a time of joy and rediscovery.
- In a world like this – and in the industry that we’re in – it’s very important to be a strong woman.
- When we take a step back and reflect on what has happened this year, it’s been crazy.
- There’s nothing more satisfying than my mum being able to turn on the radio and hear something I’ve made.
- Taylor Swift's given me some relationship advice before.
- I went to see a spiritual healer and she said that I had an evil spirit attached to me.